Apr 2, 2011

Where'd all this fat come from?

Being skinny starts in the head first, so this week I am working on getting my mind right as I transition into this new lifestyle. One of the things I am doing is asking myself, "Where'd all this fat come from?"

I have gained TEN POUNDS over the last three months and I need to find out how in the world did that happen. Being the sleuth that I am, I investigated the matter and came up with a pretty compelling case that some self-sabotage has been going on:

Exhibit A: Each weekday, I get off work at 5 p.m., then hurry to get my kids from daycare (at two different locations on two different parts of town). By the time I get home, it's around 6:30 p.m. or later. I try to cook something quick, fast and in a hurry. Usually, we don't eat until 7:00 p.m. or later and it's traditionally fatty or fried.

The verdict: Eating late is never good for the waistline, especially when I am in a coma less than two hours later.

Exhibit B: Dunkin Donuts recently opened a location within walking distance of my job. Although I am a Krispy Kreme kind of gal, once I tasted DD's sour cream doughnut I was hooked. I have eaten one too many of those.

The verdict: Sugary, sour cream-filled, fried doughnuts make the daily caloric intake shoot through the roof.

Exhibit C: I use to get up and run in the mornings -- at least three times a week. I loved breathing in the fresh air and having quiet time just for me. But, mounting work projects began to stretch into wee hours of the night and I eventually retired my running shoes.

The verdict: Late night eating PLUS an abundance of Dunkin Donuts TIMES no exercise EQUALS a big 'ole butt.

Yep, looking at the evidence, I am guilty as charged of sabotaging my diet and adding needless pounds to my body. I hereby sentence myself to prepare healthy, easy-to-reheat dinners on the weekend so that I can serve them during the weeknights and eat no later than 6:30 p.m. I sentence myself to one sour cream doughnut per month (and only if I am totally feigning. Otherwise, I don't need it.) Lastly, I sentence myself to dust off those running shoes and get moving no matter what. 

If I am going to be a skinny girl, I have to be proactive. I can't think like an overweight person and expect the pounds to fall off. That ain't gonna happen.

Philippians 4:8-9
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment